Posted: December 14, 2016
Last modified: January 19, 2017
Whether you’re in the work zone, stopped on the side of the road or driving through I-4 Ultimate project limits, the responsibility for safe driving lies with you. This holiday season, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is reminding all motorists to bear in mind proper safety protocol.
Maintaining safe speeds, moving disabled vehicles and practicing vigilance all are crucial components to ensuring roadways are safe for yourself and other motorists.
Safety reminders for driving through I-4 Ultimate work zones and all other work zones
- Pay attention to the road and your surroundings in the work zone.
- Don’t tailgate. Allow at least two car lengths between you and the vehicle in front of you. Unexpected stops frequently occur in work zones.
- Dedicate your full attention to the roadway. Avoid distractions while driving in the work zone.
- Keep an eye out for workers and their equipment. Work zones are ever-changing environments.
- Don’t speed. Follow the posted speed limits in and around the work zone.
If you’re having car troubles or get into a collision, follow these steps
- If there are injuries, call 911 immediately and wait for emergency personnel.
- Turn on your emergency signals. If everyone is unharmed and their vehicles can be safely moved, seek shoulders with barrels and clear the roadway.
- If you are unable to move your vehicle to a safe area, call *FHP (*347) and remain in your vehicle.
- Even if there are no injuries, call 911 and follow the dispatcher’s instructions.
- Exchange driver, vehicle and insurance information with the other driver, and report the incident as instructed by law enforcement and your insurance company.
- Call *FHP (*347) for roadside assistance. Depending on the severity of your situation, a Florida Highway Patrol officer may be dispatched. I-4 Ultimate road rangers are equipped to handle minor roadway incidents, and will respond if necessary.
Create a safe buffer between you and stopped vehicles
If you see someone stopped on or along the roadway, follow these steps
- Move over at least one lane away for stopped vehicles on the roadway or shoulder
- If you are unable to move over safely, slow down to 20 mph below the speed limit and exercise caution