Posted: November 27, 2019
Last modified: January 5, 2021
To help ease traffic congestion during busy holiday travel, planned construction lane closures along the I-4 Ultimate project will be suspended.
All lane closures on Interstate 4 (I-4) over the Thanksgiving travel period will be suspended between Wednesday, November 27, and Sunday, December 1, minimizing potential traffic delays for motorists during the holiday travel season.
While all lanes of I-4 will remain open to accommodate expected additional traffic during the holiday, some crews will be out working along the project. Motorists need to continue to drive responsibly through the work zone.
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) urges travelers to use the Florida 511 Advanced Traveler Information System (FL511) for a safer and more efficient journey through the Thanksgiving holiday. FL511 provides the most up-to-date information on traffic and travel conditions on major roads and in larger metropolitan areas throughout the state. Motorists can also view live roadway cameras showing traffic conditions on their route.
FDOT reminds all travelers to check FL511 before driving. Once on the road, a passenger can check traffic conditions while the car is moving by using the app. If driving alone, the driver can check FL511 once parked in a safe spot. Here are some Thanksgiving travel safety tips to consider:
- Visit FL511.com and plan out your trip. The website provides an estimated arrival time, up to three routes to choose from, and shows current road and severe weather conditions. Know before you go!
- Leave ample time to arrive at your destination, and expect increased traffic and possible delays during the holidays.
During the trip:
- If you need to check FL511, either pull over and stop in a safe area (such as a rest area) or have a passenger in the car check the app.
- During long trips, avoid drowsy driving by making regular stops and rotating drivers, if possible.
- Always wear a safety belt.
- Don’t drink and drive.
For more information, visit FL511.com or download the app from the Apple App or Google Play stores.