Posted: September 24, 2015
Last modified: January 19, 2017

In the interest of maintaining safety and keeping traffic flowing, drivers should be aware of the state’s “Move It” laws (Florida Statutes 316.027, 316.061, 316.063, 316.071)

There is a something of a popular misconception that police or insurance companies will penalize you, if you move your damaged or disabled vehicle after an accident. That simply is not true.

Indeed, Florida law requires that motorists involved in an accident make every reasonable effort to move their vehicles safely out of the roadway. It will help you stay out of harm’s way and keep traffic moving behind you.

The Florida Highway Patrol recommends:

  • If there are injuries, call 911 immediately and wait for emergency personnel.
  • If everyone is okay and their vehicles can be safely moved, then get the cars or trucks out of the roadway.
  • Even if there are no injuries, call 911 and follow the dispatcher’s instructions.
  • Exchange driver, vehicle and insurance information with the other driver, and report the incident as instructed by law enforcement and your insurance company.

Moving damaged vehicles off the road not only minimizes traffic congestion, but it also lowers the risk of subsequent crashes or injuries.

Remember that traffic incidents cause more congestion than overcrowded highways. And between 13 percent and 33 percent of crashes are caused by earlier incidents.

Don’t panic if your vehicle runs out of gas, has a flat or breaks down in the I-4 Ultimate work area, you can receive free help from the Road Ranger service patrol by calling the Florida Highway Patrol at *FHP (*347).

In the I-4 Ultimate work zone, Road Ranger service is operated by I-4 Mobility Partners and their operations and maintenance provider – Infrastructure Corporation of America (ICA).

Click here to print a handy fact sheet.